Monome x Arcade Buttons is all done and it’s super fun to play with!
In this quick video I made, the lights indicate when a note is hit and the buttons change a scale arpeggiation (Running Max/Msp + Midi/OSC converter + Polygome + Ableton Live 8 + Commodore64 VST). This is just one of the many things it can do!
The LED wiring is complete and everything is working! Here’s the first all-on test.
And here’s how pretty the final wiring looks! I still am going to tie everything up but I think it ended up really clean. Input boards on the left, output boards on the right. I tried a few wiring harnesses before I settled and duplicated. I think this helped make everything really clean and reliable (everything worked the first time!).
I already got a scrolling text monome program working with it and am in the process of writing a Max/Msp object to make it monome compatible (http://monome.org/). I’ll try to take some video soon and also some pics of the final casing once I fiinsh that.
Phew, I was able to wire all 64 buttons this weekend and they all are working! I also made a box out of some nice ply to shove everything in. The next step is to purchase and wire all 64 LEDs inside the buttons.
After much sanding and screwing down plastic nuts, 64 buttons installed!
Finished up the midi board / input module and everything seems to be working. I spent a while trying to figure out how to harness the arcade buttons. I was able to do one row, only seven more to go. Check out my sweet rocker on/off switch in red (like the kind that launches missiles).
Most of the non-circuit parts for the LED/button matrix I’m making! More photos to come as it gets put together. Note that this is unrelated to the arcade controller I am building. What you see in the photo are arcade buttons though, 64 of them, epic.